Tuesday, July 1, 2014

31 weeks!

This dress is from ASOS maternity and is seriously the softest ever.
I've been saving wearing it for when I feel giant and hot in whatever I put on.
ASOS for the win!


So we are slowly putting stuff together this week...cribs, strollers (both of them...), car seats, diaper changing stations and I look at all the stuff, especially the stuff we have two of and think "ok...babies. Babies will be here soon and they will be ours." I legitimately have to keep reminding myself we're going to be parents in less than 2 months...next month!! Not like I forget...I'm just trying to get it to 'sink in'.
Before I got pregnant, and well into my pregnancy, I remember thinking how lucky I am that I get 9 months to "get used to" the idea of being a mom. I've got 9 months of prep time--so long! I'll get to know my baby so well in the womb, that I'll be so prepared when the time comes to deliver and taking care of them will be just, like, whatevs
HA, um no. I'm almost 8 months baked, and every day I wake up thinking about all the stuff I don't know how to do that seems like all the basics for infant survival....I don't know how to change a diaper. I don't know how to put clothes on a newborn (what if I'm putting a onesie on them and I hit their soft spot!?) I don't know when they should eat. I don't know how much they should sleep. How warm should they be? When do I bathe them? When does their gross umbilical cord fall off? OMG those umbilical cords are so gross..what if I can't even look at it!? 
It's really intimidating. And I'm supposed to be responsible for all this times TWO?! What was God thinking?!!?
But then I remind myself that what's essential in a mother isn't all the things she does, like changing and feeding and bathing. Anyone can do that (and hopefully David will do a lot of it haha) Love is what's essential in a mother. And I know I can love them. I know that I am capable of great love, and that these 9 months is what that is for. Growing my heart so that when these two kids come into the world, I'll know they're mine and I'll know what to do as their mother :) 

How far along? 31 weeks 2 days 
Total weight gain: still about 28 lbs. But I haven't weighed myself in a couple days, aaaand I don't feel like walking all the way upstairs to do it. Plus, David has been monitoring my up and down the stairs movement and scolds me if I do it too often. Apparently, I get like 2 trips before he starts giving me the stink eye. Isn't he just the cutest ;)
Maternity clothes?  Yep. Love and hate them. 
Sleep: I've been getting lots of sleep, yay! I just read this little fact (on instagram, so who knows how reliable it is. But whatever, it validates my exhaustion) that women pregnant with twins spend 10% more energy at rest than a pregnant woman with 1 baby. So yeah, totally normal to feel exhausted after making dinner.
Best moment this week: Seeing David build the cribs. I've been waiting for the cribs to be built for what feels like forever, and seeing my sweet hubby put together the [giant!] vessels our new little lives will sleep in was such a nice moment. Every day I am grateful for the amazing husband he is, and lately I'm saying little prayers of thanks for the awesome father I know he'll be :)
Miss Anything? The freedom to go out and do what I want. David has a bunch of days off this week, and he mentioned we should go on an adventure. Yay! But then I start thinking....ok, I don't want to be in the car for hours--that's torture. Sitting through a whole movie is uncomfortable. Walking for any length of time is uncomfortable. What's left to do??? Not much :/ 

(I decided on a picnic at the Getty. Minimal driving and walking time, plus food!)
Movement: Those kids are active little buggers, which is great, BUT their kicks and rolls are really starting to hurt. This is going to sound dumb, but I always think of Twilight when Bella gets preggo with her half vampire baby and it's attacking her from the inside out. Every time I lift up my shirt, I expect to see bruises. Or brass knuckles poking through my skin. 
Food cravings: Nothing since the cheeto/pickle incident of last week. I'm having a harder time eating full meals, which I attribute to obviously the general lack of space in my stomach area and it being so damn hot.
Anything making you queasy or sick: Nope
Gender:  Still our little boy and girl

Labor Signs: Nothing new! Still BH contractions when I'm up and about for "long" periods of time.
Symptoms: Joint pain....I hate thee.
Belly Button in or out? It's flat. I can barely remember what my belly button looked like before
Wedding rings on or off? Still wearing my sapphire ring. 

Happy or Moody most of the time: This week happy again :) 
Looking forward to: Our date to the Getty and getting our house professionally cleaned

2 comments:

  1. You look beautiful!!!!! Have fun at the Getty!!!! And yes, Santa Clarita is sooo damn hot. I forgot how bad it gets there. woof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God prepares moms...you will know...it's amazing how it all will make sense oh so quickly! This post (too) brought tears to my eyes! You look beautiful and so full of life and love

    ReplyDelete