Saturday, July 26, 2014

13 random things about my pregnancy

Ok, some things I don't want to forget about from this lovely, preggo time:

1. Life cereal has been my go-to middle of the night snack. It's so mild and still delicious to eat dry. I've kept a baggie of it by my bed for the last few months. Some people like cheerios, other people like crackers....mine is Life cereal.

2. My fingers hurting has been the strangest pregnancy symptom. I was definitely not expecting to wake up feeling like I've got arthritis in my hands.

3. It really doesn't matter how much lotion/body oil/etc. you put on your body--stretch marks happen (although I've still yet to get any on my belly. Such a surprise!) That being said, I haven't experienced any itchy belly syndrome, which I attribute to my consistent lathering up of St. Ives lotion and this belly oil my mom got me. 

4. I have been fighting relentlessly against all of the pregnancy stereotypes. Ok no, it's more like I resent those terms people apply to completely logical actions/feelings. Like nesting....ok, it's completely logical to want to clean my house and put together a nursery for the babies I know will shortly be entering this world. But because I'm preggo, I'm nesting..not taking care of necessary business (alright, fine....decorating the shiz out of their room isn't 'necessary' but we're just going to look past that...) 
Or any time I say I want something specific to eat. OMG IT'S A CRAVING. Oh...so you, non-pregnant person, don't ever feel like something in particular to eat for dinner? Glad my crazy baby-making hormones have all the control right now, otherwise I wouldn't know what I'd want! 
OR anytime I complain about how hot it is. Not because it's the middle of summer in Southern California. Nope, it's my raging hormones. 
I attribute this frustration to wanting to maintain my 'selfness' while having everything about me change. It's a real struggle.

5. I simultaneously love and hate baby kicks. It feels like I'm losing control of my bladder or that I've got the worst bubble guts ever. Both make me want to beeline to the bathroom (which, in all honesty, I probably need to use anyway). But while I sit there feeling like I should probably invest in a pack of Depends, I know that it's my little beans in there, wiggling their bodies, making plans for escape. Dawwww 

6. My husband has never made me feel more beautiful or loved. Especially don't forget this, future Jennica, on the days (I mean come on...most days) that you feel like this

he makes you feel like yourself again and reminds you that he loves you no matter what you look like, and loves you more right now because you two made life together :)

7. I thought I'd end up with horrible pregnancy acne, or at least crazy oily skin but NOPE my skin dried up like the sahara desert! I've had to use crazy night moisturizer, and I still end up with dry patches on my face and bags under my eyes. (which, by the way when I look up 'remedies' for under eye bags, one of the top recommendations is to hydrate. I'm pretty sure no one is more hydrated than me these days...)

8. I've played/sung Can't Help Falling in Love to them on my ukulele since I was like 13 weeks (or whenever it is they say babies can hear things in the womb...) I actually started doing it because my dad said they'd probably like the vibrations of the uke. I'm hoping that the song will calm them once their born, and when I sing it they'll stop being fussy-pants and go back to being blissful babes ;) 

9. Jack always starts moves around when David gets home from work and chats with me. I think it must be the sound of his voice :) We laugh about it all the time....like "HEY DAD! Check out what I can do! See me rolling around?! Yeah, couldn't do that a week ago!"

10. I lived off of plain bagels in my first trimester. They were bland enough but super carby that they filled me up without making me feel gross.

11. I had sushi, sandwiches, sprouts, bleu cheese, coffee almost daily, and sporadic sips of wine, beer, and champagne. Everything in moderation and from places I know and trust. There's a lot of hype out there, folks. 

12. On the same note as #11, I've been obsessive about drinking tons of water since my passing-out episode in church back when I was 17 weeks. I used a 20oz cup and refilled it on the reg UNTIL I found an awesome 32oz mason jar mug-thingy that I now tote with me everywhere. Even though I have been really good about staying off my feet and such, I really attribute not swelling up like a baboon and staying as preggo as long as I have to drinking tons and tons of H2O.

13. Maternity clothes are glorious, don't ever forget it. And next time around (if there is a next time...according to David, there most definitely will be. Oy) make sure to find tight, jersey things. You'll feel less like a blimp.



I think this is it for now....I know 13 is an unlucky number, but who believes in that anyway? Jesus plus his 12 disciples makes 13, and that's about as lucky as anything. 
Anyway, I'll probably add to this, later well hopefully, since I've still got 2 more weeks [fingers crossed!] and who knows what could happen then!


EXTRAS!

14. I re-read the entire Harry Potter series during this pregnancy. So just prepare yourselves, Clare and Jack, to be Potter fans just like your mamma




1 comment: