Wednesday, August 27, 2014

9 Days Postpartum

Here they are!!!! Well, they've been here for 9 days, but here's a picture ;) OMG I could just stare at them all day. Oh wait, I totally do




We just got out of our 2nd Great Starts appointment, where the babes get weighed and I nurse them to find out how much milk they're getting. The last one didn't go so well...we had trouble latching and some of us [ahem...Mr. Jack] just wanted to sleep. The nurse told us we should supplement another 1.5-2oz of milk every time they ate. The Supplemental Nursing System [SNS] which was great in the hospital when I was feeling really discouraged about them loosing too much when breastfeeding had become super burdensome at home. The beans would get all confused by the little tube, which made latching that much more difficult. So David and I decided to not supplement at every sesh, and just trust that my body was providing what they needed. 
And low and behold today's appointment PROVES that old adage of 'mom knows best' because both Clare and Jack ate a whopping 2.5 oz in like 15 mins. Jack has surpassed his birth weight and is now 6lbs! And Clare is already 5lbs 9oz. They haven't lost at all since leaving the hospital, so to any future moms out there, twin or otherwise, seriously...home is the best. The babies will know it.
Anyway, the nurses were super shocked that they ate that much since last time was such a letdown. They called them "star nursers" and said that we were doing everything right. My heart was BURSTING! Thank goodness after lots of nights, days, hours of frustration and exhaustion, we were validated in our champion eaters.  The nurses went on to say that David and I seem so calm and such a great team with these two...that usually twin parents are running around all frantic. I know he and I have been trying to maintain high levels of gratitude and grace, and apparently it shows. 
All in all, it was an awesome visit where not only were our perfect babes praised and praised but David and I were too. Which is needed. I needed it.

Change of subject: me! I can't believe how much weight I've dropped already. I mentioned in my last post its around 25lbs. Here's a pic to show what I look like a little over a week postpartum. Isn't it amazing?! I was HUGE before. I've still got a jiggly little belly, but who cares!? I can see my hips again! And my waist! [This picture doesn't show just how disproportionate my boobs are to the rest of me though. I've got to be at least a D right now. No lie. I was up to a C pregnant, and they have seriously doubled. Wait..was that just a twin pun? :P]
I really never realized that a lot of my body was pretty swollen. I shaved my legs this morning [hallelujah for that becoming a jillion times easier again!] and thought "holy cow, my legs are SO tiny!" I hadn't realized that they had swollen up during my pregnancy. 
When people tell you nursing burns calories and gets your body back to shape, they ain't lyin'!
   

2 comments:

  1. DANG GIRL!!!! That is seriously so amazing. I just read your last two posts. I am just beaming hearing how great you all are doing! I knew you were going to be great and you and David are probably the best people I can imagine to have twins! I can't wait to meet those little babies. They are so stinking cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady!! Please come by and visit, I'd love for you to meet them!!!

      Delete