Monday, September 22, 2014

Jack and Clare: One Month!




We made it! The little Bunch Beans are a month old! (as of 3 days ago...) I shouldn't say "we made it" like it was really terrible, but it really has been the best month of my life. Better than [obviously] all of college, better than my time in DC, better than my time in London, better than Paris, better than my wedding (sorry my sweet love), better than chocolate. Ok, no maybe not better than chocolate. I couldn't have made it through this month without chocolate. Because although it has been DA BEST month ever, it truly has been the hardest. 
David and I have been blessed with really great babes. They aren't fussy...usually if they are crying and they've eaten, been changed, and burped, they just want cuddles. I mean...how can we get mad about that? But I'm still up at all hours of the night since they ate every 2 hours in the beginning (and in the beginning, I was feeding them separately so it was literally like I'd start nursing and by the time I was done with 2nd one, the other would be rearing up to eat again! Tandem feeding is the ONLY saving grace!) and now every 3 hours, and sometimes a blessed 4 hour stretch. So in my sleep deprived state, I've definitely had a meltdown.
A I-can't-handle-this-anymore meltdown. But the funny thing was, that in the middle of my inconsolable crying and thoughts about how I'm pretty sure I've never felt more of a failure or more broken, I was still thinking about how much I love them. Postpartum hormones...this is why they are needed.

Anyway, here are some things I've learned in my short but sweet one month as a parent:

-Parenting with your husband isn't something that just comes naturally. A lot of communication is needed, otherwise expectations turn into fights
-Seeing your husband sing and coo and snuggle with your baby while you hold your other baby is for sure the best part of having twins
-Swaddling is not to be underestimated. We LOVE the Swaddle Pods by Summer Infant. They are a fraction of the price of Woombie (which admittedly we haven't tried) and zip up from the top AND the bottom, which makes middle of the night diaper changes much more bearable for everyone

-Diapers.com is seriously the best website. Free next day shipping for $49 orders is aaaaahmazing
-Always have the new diaper ready to put on that baby bottom! You think they are done making goo but then they shotgun some out
-Spit up is apparently totally normal as long as baby is gaining weight and isn't bothered by the huge stream of milk gushing out of their mouth. 
-At least one daytime nap is necessary for whichever parent is up more at night. The mom. The mom needs the daytime nap.
-Sticking with breastfeeding is SO SO worth it. It's painful and horrible and frustrating. Until it isn't. One day or one night it turns really magical. Because the smiles and cooing and fake giggles all happen right after you nurse, and it's the best feeling knowing you made those happen.
-Walks are awesome
-Baths are awesome

Ok, there's more I'm sure but for now, here's some [ok...a lot] of my favorite pics of my littles :) See if you can tell who is who! It's a game I play in the middle of the night hehe




First headband :) not the biggest fan of them. Me, not her. She didnt care

Hehehe he outgrew preemie size real fast



First bath! Jack loved, Clare not so much. But Jack had just eaten, to be fair.
She loves them now :)


First dress! And our fave Clare face





Ok, I can't remember whose feet these are...



First time I caught both of them smiling on camera








I love her dimples!!!!

This swaddle was a bit too much hahaha


First time they are in the exact same outfit. Jack is a full pound heavier than her here (9/21/14)
When we last weighed them (on 9/19), Jack was 8lbs 3oz and Clare was 7lbs 8oz. Chunky monkeys!!
Or getting there at least ;D



1 comment:

  1. (not sure if my previous comment posted....)
    love all the pics! kiss kiss to the twinsies!

    ReplyDelete